Date(s) - 10/14/2017
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Bull Run UU Church
NONVIOLENT PEACEFORCE TO SPEAK AT BRUU
OCTOBER 14, 2017, 7:00 PM
9350 MAIN STREET, MANASSAS VA
Mel Duncan, co-founder of Nonviolent Peaceforce (NP) spends much of his time in places like Syria, Iraq, Myanmar, the Philippines, and South Sudan. He will speak at the Bull Run Unitarian Universalists in Manassas on October 14, 2017 at 7:00 PM. In pictures and words, he will talk about the work of the Nonviolent Peaceforce (NP), co-founded in 2002, in these hotspots of violence and conflict. In Duncan’s words, “it is a common assumption that only armed military or police and do the work of peacekeeping; however, unarmed civilians have been successfully ‘keeping the peace’ in situations of violent conflict all over the world, and their numbers are steadily increasing.”
NP has been endorsed by:
• Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada.
• Tarja Halonen, Former President of the Republic of Finland.
• His Royal Highness Prince el Hassan bin Talal, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
• Lech Walesa, Poland, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
• Oscar Arias Sanchez, President, Costa Rica, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
• Jose Ramos Horta, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
• Olusebun Obasanjo, Former President, Nigeria – “Our world is in great need of new approaches to the resolution of conflicts. A civilian force such as that espoused in your proposal would represent a novel achievement and a most valuable contribution to the achievement of peace on our fragile planet.”
• Franciscans for Justice of the Brothers and Sisters, USA
• Franciscans for Justice and Peace, Bolivia
• General Administration of the Marist Sisters, Rome
• Leadership Conference of Women Religious, USA
• Minneapolis Area Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
• Presbyterians, USA
• United Church of Christ
Mel Duncan’s honors and awards include a Community Leaders Fellowship from the Bush Foundation, the Distinguished Citizen’s Award from Macalester College and the Pfeiffer International Peach Price from the Fellowship of Reconciliation. Mel and his wife, Georgia, have eight children and live in St. Paul Minnesota. For more information, contact Don Sodo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.587.5962.
Reception for Mel Duncan of Nonviolent Peaceforce
• Saturday, October 14 from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
• Jirani Coffeehouse 9425 West Street Manassas, VA 20110 (right across from the Manassas train station)
Join us for this brief reception to welcome Mel Duncan prior to his talk at 7pm at the Bull Run Unitarian Universalists, 9350 Main Street, Manassas. Jirani Coffeehouse is a wonderful and closeby place to meet Mel. Feel free to bring a friend(s).
“BEAUTIFUL MUSIC” BENEFIT AT BRUU
Sunday October 15, 2017, 1:00pm
9350 Main Street, Manassas VA
Featuring professional musicians Chris Sexton and Kelly Muzzin
Fundraiser concert sponsored by the Social Justice/Pine Ridge Native American support project. Music provided by Kelly Muzzin & Chris Sexton, both BRUU members. Contributions to be collected and donated for designated projects on the Pine Ridge Reservation. Contact: Richard Demaret email@example.com or Susan Sinclair firstname.lastname@example.org